Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Friday, August 19, 2005

Bald Eagle

Last Sunday (I think) I was walking at my usual spot on the Snoqualmie Valley Trail. I wasn't feeling very well and went there because I can keep the walk short. It was hot and when Coal and I got by the river I sat down. As the sun baked into me and the river soothed me I lay down. I was tempted to just go to sleep (but I'd get a wicked sunburn and who knows what Coal would get in to). Coal came over and hovered telling me it was time to go.

So I stood up and started to turn away from the river and caught site of a mature Bald Eagle. It was amazing, she was about to hit the water about 25 yards from me. I could see her talons stretched out and then I heard and saw the splash of water. It was so close! Then she came up and her talons were empty. She flew between the woods and me only about 12 feet in the air. She looked closely at both Coal and I. Seeing her so close made her large size really evident.

When she passed us, she turned heading back down, directly over the river. When she got to the spot where she had hunted before she dipped down examining the water below. This time she didn't time to grab anything. Then she flew across the river and landed on a tree. A bit later I looked for her and couldn't see her at all. I know she hadn't left, she had just blended in.

... oh, and if you are wondering how I know it's a 'she'. I don't. But she was BIG and females are larger than males and I decided to call her a she.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home