Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Appreciating insects

I wish people appreciated insects more. Such amazing creatures and they do have beauty. Yesterday by my house the dragonflies were so active. They had these fantastic black and white stripes. Certainly as striking as a zebra. And they are such complex creatures.

The bald eagle sighting the other day was an amazing experience, but the day I let the slug lick me and I could feel it's tongue rasp against my finger was just as amazing. That slug was curious about me. That slug licked me and it's tongue wasn't slimy



It was the picture of the bee that got me waxing philosophical about insects. I mean look at those wings. Stained glass windows that are use for dancing and flight and keeping the hive cool.


And this is a terrible picture of a water strider (although, I do enjoy the look of the water) but I've always envied their ability to skate on water. I tried so hard to get a good picture but they had there own plans.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eliza said...

Right there with ya!
Everytime I water my plants, I admire all of the spiders that have made their homes hanging between my tomato plants or among my herbs. They are all garden spiders with the intricate white cross on their backs. There's a large one that I a particularly fond of.
Apparently, the spider neighborhood heard that I was tolerant of them: my cousin (our new housemate) came home today & there was an orb web strung across the middle of the living room! :)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Herman said...

I've never had an orb web in my house, that's mighty fine. The spiders know that my house is a safe zone as long as they stay high, unfortunely the lower down spiders tend to become cat prey.

I do love the garden spiders. I love the posture (can't think of how to desribe) that they stay in too.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home