Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Kayaking on the Snoqualmie


I went white water kayaking for the first time. I am amazingly fortunate. I was lucky enough to be given a kayak (THANKS ROXIE) and an experience friend was a willing teacher. Of course, as it was my first time there wasn't a lot of white water. I guess the area we did was about a class II. I was more scared then I expected to be, but it was mostly before we actually started. I'm always like that with physical/outdoor challenges. Once I'm doing it, I forget about worrying. There might be a life lesson there. It was harder then I expected and very fun.

Amy was a great teacher. She kept apologizing for being bossy which was nuts, I was getting a free lesson and enjoying her company. I learned about eddies and ferrying. Most of the river was fairly shallow but I finally did a wet escape (tip the kayak over and swim out). It's an essential safety technique. It's so hard too make yourself dump intentionally and even though I had a helmet on I was scared of bashing into rocks. It all went well though and now I feel much more confident.

Lesson about eddies


Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the funniest moment. I borrowed a wet suit from Amy that was apparently very old and...well... thin in the hind area. When I crotched down to pull the kayak to the launch area I felt a release of pressure and cool breeze on my bottom. Sure enough, the butt seem was giving out. By the time we had scrambled out and over the rocks at the end of our ride my derriere (in a swim suit) was exposed for all to see. As Amy and I carried the kayaks back up the levy trail to the car we kept getting the giggles!



I am tired and sore now and more relaxed then I've been in a week. I forgot what a high I get out of stuff like that. My head is full of sound and sights of the water. I've always found sea kayaking to be the ultimate meditative experience. This was like... adrenaline rush, soothing and beauty all mixed together. The only things I can think to compare to is jumping on horse or sex. You are absolutely lost in the moment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eliza said...

So cool! What a great experience. And someone GAVE you a kayak!?!! Me so envious!
Your story about the seam of the wet suit ripping cracks me up & reminds me of my own similar situation at a friend's rehearsal dinner. We were on the bluff in Discovery Park, doing the wedding practice run, & all of us girls were being goofy & silly. As we walked back to our places, I did a cartwheel, in non-stretch jeans. I heard a little pop mid-cartwheel, but didn't think much about it, until I landed & felt a breeze. I had a nice long rip down the upper seam of the leg. I had to finish the rehearsal with a long coat tied around my waist! :)

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home