Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Geysers and mudpots and steam, oh my!

Since this was new to all of us, we had to visit all of the typical geothermal tourist places. Tasha (almost 9) was really excited about the idea of mudpots. I'm still not sure why. Chris decided that after a while it all seemed the same and wanted to hike. Renae and I were fascinated. We talked about what this place must have been like (and maybe still is) to the Native Americans. So much power in the landscape. We talked about building the trails through boiling, steaming, changing land.

I do prefer the forests and wildlife but there is something magical about Earth's raw power uncovered. I couldn't forget that we were walking on a volcano. I like the uncertainty; the reminder that as much as humans can do we are still very small. That has always reassured me, I guess because it gives me hope that no matter how destructive humans get there is power greater then us.

Mammoth area - Terraces and travertine

The hot spring spreads killing trees


Terrace

Close up of travertine

Norris area - Amazing colors


A new geyser starting up?
It's splattering on the walkway




Dragon Hot Springs,
rumbles from the cave sounded like a dragon to me.




Old Faithful area- an active and strange landscape

Old Faithful





Paint Pots - Tasha's favorite

Tasha and Chris

Boil boil toil and trouble






(You can click on any photo to see it larger)

2 Comments:

Blogger Eliza said...

Such amazing stuff to see & think about! Brings back great memories from my trip--we have different photos of the same geysers. :)
I really liked the walk around the Norris boardwalk. There was hardly anyone else there & it seemed like another world. I remember thinking & wondering about what was beneath my feet & the history of the landscape. It's such a mysterious, wonderous place.
And I'm with Tasha on the boiling mud--I could have watched it bubble & burp for hours! :)

2:57 PM  
Blogger Herman said...

I keep using the word amazing to describe it. Just so much packed into that one park.

Norris was definitely my favorite. The boiling mud was neat, but I hear it's better later in the year. Then there's less water and more...well... mud.

Old faithful was my least favorite. Probably because of all the people and the fact that there was less mystery

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home