Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Time to play in the snow- PCT

What a difference a month can make. Once again I went a short distance on the Pacific Crest Trail heading north from Snoqualmie Pass. I am still a child at heart, it seems like some magic trick when familiar things change in such dramatic ways. I walked into a rock at one point. All I saw was a slight soft, round bump in the snow, but my feet discovered it was something entirely different. That's what delights me; that curiosity about what has changed or is hidden. It seems like November has brought winter this year and I was excited when it started snowing in the Pass. I went up Thursday after work with Coal and played in the snow in the dark, but today I got to spend quality time.



The difference from last time I hiked this trail was truly striking. The trailhead parking lot was full of snow and people. I had to hike in from the ski area and after letting Coal play with some other dogs I started down the trail. Before I was looking at the berried and fall color, this time I was looking at trees and snow. I really need snow shoes (I've been saying this for several years now!). We didn't cover anywhere near as much ground as Coal would have liked, which if you've ever walked a long walks in the snow you'll understand. I also let myself stop to take pictures, listen to the snow, catch snowflakes and watch the snow fall off the trees in a dense white shower. Once I'd moved away from the parking lot I left the people behind and there was that hush that comes with a heavy snow.



It amazes me how the plants can survive. I saw berry bushes and small trees covered in snow and it seems they should be flattened. I even saw some Bunch Berry still green and vibrant, protected by a log. I took a picture of the end of a log that I had taken on the last trip when it had been deeply green with moss.





I couldn't ignore the beauty of the trees. The rich colors and delicate intricacy is always there and the snow emphasizes this. These giants, often lost in the background, are given a chance to drape themselves in finery and parade their grace.







4 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

snow

:)

8:55 PM  
Blogger Eliza said...

just what i needed, chris. :)

5:17 PM  
Blogger Kristen Gough said...

yay for snow! thanks for sharing these glorious photos.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Herman said...

:)

Thanks everyone

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home