Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Schmoozer the Wonder Puppy

I miss Coal. I didn't think I'd be able to bring another dog into my house any time soon. Coal can never be replaced. The house felt empty but beyond missing Coal and the emptiness of the house I miss dogs. Dogs are a pleasure. They bring out the best in me. They help me connect with the world.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
So, I began to look for a new companion to bring home. I admire people who bring adult dogs home. However, I decided to get a puppy for 2 reasons. With the death of both Grumbles and Coal this year and Fancy getting older I wanted someone young and healthy (hopefully). I also have a great opportunity to bring my dog to work. A puppy can learn and adjust to the work environment and will be accepted more easily. I discovered a website petfinder.com which lists puppies and dogs from rescues and shelters. I found a great place - Lil Waif Puppy Rescue. I went out to look at some puppies and that's where I found Schmoozer. Actually I should say he found me, because he charged up to me as soon as I entered.

Schmoozer's first day home.


He discovered Coal's old toy box almost immediately!

I thought his name was going to be Simcha, which roughly means "a joyous occasion". Indeed, bringing him home was a joyous occasion but his name quickly became Schmoozer. He likes to talk and socialize. He's amazingly smart and I'm delighted to have him in my life. He is now 10 weeks old and he's lived with me for a week. He has already learned sit and is pretty good at laying down. He hasn't had a potty accident in 3 days! He fetches. He walks on leash. I've had this week off work and I am giving him many opportunities to safely explore the world. Today he spent time with two very friendly (and slightly overwhelmed cats) and an old dog.

I have to admit, as my friends and family meet the Schmooze and say how wonderful he is, I want to say "don't forget about Coal". But I am finding one of the best ways I know of keeping Coal's memory alive. I am taking all I learned from him, including a deep and undeniable love, and passing it on to my little Schmoozer.

Schmoozer at home


He has all these toys to play with but he decides the pet food bowls are great fun... including the one full of water. He can carry it around and toss it in the air. We now have the water in a larger no tip bowl.

Schmoozer discovers grass



He did a lot of rolling in the grass

Schmoozer discovers the river

He was determined to drag this large branch out of the water I'm sure it weighed more then he does. He also discovered he river gets deep for a little guy!

I'm not sure which was more fun - sticking his nose in the water or digging in the sand

He's thinking "will you quit taking pictures and play with me!"

As always you can click on a picture to view it in a larger format.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Schmoozer is absolutely adorable, and he sounds smart. I think you made the correct choice not to wait a long time to open your home and heart to a puppy in need of a home.

I am sorry for your loss and know that Coal will live on in your heart.

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son loved the pictures of Schmoozer. When I look at the pictures, I can recall the way puppies smell. He is great. Congratulations on being Schmoozer's person, Chris.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've mostly been a silent observer on your blog, but had to comment. Schmoozer is so cute, and I'm glad you were able to find this little guy who I know could never replace Coal, but who looks like he will be a great companion. :) And, I had to let you know that Lil Waif Puppy Rescue is run by my friend Evangelynn and her mom. Vange is a great person and a true dog lover! :)
-Kathryn

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm with the rescue group that originally took in Schmoozer's mom, Josie. I was there the day he was born. My friend, Josie's foster mom, took excellent care of mom and pups. It is WONDERFUL to see Schmoozer get such a loving home. THANK YOU for adopting a rescue pup. Hope you have a long lifetime of happiness with your new companion. :)

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home