Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Schmoozer's first hike

I haven't been hiking since Coal died. I just haven't been able to face the idea of going without him. I've been starting to miss the woods. I will always find a sense of peace and renewel out in nature. So, I decided to take Scmoozer for a hike. OK, it wasn't really a hike. He's just a little guy. I have to be careful where I take him because he's not fully vaccinated yet (16 weeks, and then the adventures really begin). He's also very young and certainly not up for a big outing. I decided Olallie would be the perfect place. The old growth trail and picnic area is very small and I have rarely seen people there.

Schmoozer has been uncertain on our walks to the river by my house. Sometimes he is excited and happy and sometimes scared. Of course there are cars and neighborhood dogs (not lose, but still very big and intimidating) to deal with. I really wasn't sure how he'd react. I think everyone should spend time outside with a baby (human, puppy, kitty, etc). They experience the world in a different way. Schmoozer was thrilled from the moment we started. He was a bit disappointed I didn't let him eat the elk poop and he probably could have spent much longer chasing leaves but soon enough we headed down the trail.

The beauty of the forest

It was good to get out in be immersed in green. The light show through the trees and the moss seemed to soak up sound. I've needed that. Schmoo learned that sometimes I stop and take forever taking photos. He was pretty patient but pulled excitedly ahead until we got to the mud. Then he stopped dead. Apparently mud was something new and perplexing. We stopped and he sat and thought for a moment and then he came up with the perfect solution to the mud problem. When in mud - DIG!

This is how most of my pictures of Schmoozer come out.
He moves around quite a bit! And he really got into the digging.

I don't think he was actually eating the mud... I hope not

I finally dragged him away from the mud and we continued on. I think by then he had discovered the joy of exploring. He was running at the end of his leash (even though I was mostly walking.) It was quite fun watching him try to charge ahead. When we got to the end of the falls he was disappointed. He wanted to continue on and he tried to jump up and peer over the railing at Weeks Falls. I picked him up and let him see. The we were off again. He was confused when we didn't follow the exact same path back, but delighted to end up by the river. What can I say, he's going to be a water dog. He explored the river, slipping and sliding over rocks and splashing excitedly. But like young critters everywhere, it was the simple pleasures. He found a place that felt secure and then spent a happy period playing with a stick. I could tell he was starting to get tired and the weather was looking threatening so headed back. Schmoo still delights in grass and we had a romp before it was time to load him in the car. I kept tellng him he was tired, and he kept saying "play". It would have been more convincing if he didn't keep falling over and flopping down in the grass.
River Dog!

Sticks are fun!

He's got his stick, but he's too worn out to do much

After a brief romp in the grass,
Shmooze was ready to be carried to the car.
I think he was asleep before I go the engine started

The view as we loaded up to go home

I am so lucky to have Schmoozer in my life. I was delighted and honored when I got a reply and email from the Lil Waif Puppy Rescue folks after my last entry. It makes me so happy to think of how well cared for Schmoozer was. What a blessing that there are people out there like them. His life and mine would be so different without there generosity and care. Whenver I forget how to laugh, I just need to sit down and spend time with him. We have a good start and will be able to share our joy in this big and beautiful world together on many hikes and outings in the future.

My beautiful boy, 11.5 weeks old

4 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Schmootsch is a fine little pootsch!

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and Schmootsch,
Loved your pictures of nature and of Schmootsch, made me want to be right out there with you! The two of you are an encouragement for Lil' Waif. How we need good parents like you Chris for our little ones.
Give Schmootsch a kiss and a good ol' tummy rub!
Rebecca

7:07 AM  
Blogger kirayoshi said...

He sure looks cute :-)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Eliza said...

So glad you are having adventures together! :)

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home