Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A journey shared

This holiday season has left me a bit sad. Perhaps it's silly, but for the past ten years home and family has meant Coal, Fancy, Grumbles and myself. Perhaps the difference between having pets and having furry family members, is the choice to see the individual. I have had the chance to share my home with these special individuals with unique personalities and needs. Instead of ownership, I have emotional obligations and a journey shared.

Grumbles, last Christmas
She decided the bed was for her, not Coal

As I write this Fancy sits purring in my lap. She is the same determined, bad tempered and smart cat. Our family is changing though and she has become friends with Schmoo. He's much bigger then her now and he has a puppy's exuberance but I've watched them sit side by side, gently bopping each other with their paws. A few nights ago, they slept side by side on the couch. I am glad for her.

Fancy Cat this summer
I actually got a picture of her!

I miss Coal and Grum. I miss Grumble's easy warmth, the way she'd hide under the covers and her play bites. I miss Coal so very much. I miss the expressions on his face, leaning into him, his joy at walks or snow and reaching out to his calm and loving presence. I ache from missing them, but I am also grateful for all they gave me.

Coal, summer of 2006
At Franklin Falls, one of our favorite places


My memories may be intangible but I will hold tight to them. Right now, Fancy sits warm and purring in my lap (and somewhat annoyed with my typing). While I embrace my memories I also reach out for the love I have. My furry family has changed, but it's still with me. I am soothed by Fancy's purr and thinking of tomorrow. Schmoozer is growing so fast and I am once again on a journey of discovery. His joy and energy brighten my days and neither one of us can resist the chance to walk and play. As always, it's the simple gifts in life that mean the most

Schmoo was surprised and confused at first
when we woke to nearly a foot of snow


Schmoo leading the way and wanting me to hurry up.


He sticks his head all the way in the snow
Or in the river... brrrrrrr!!!!!!



My beautiful puppy is growing up


The river by my house,
Thanks to Schmoo I got myself out to see the beauty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home