Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Walking and watching in Tracy

I'm staying with my friends in Tracy, California. It's a much different habitat than home. Tracy's climate is much different than home, I get almost 10 times the rain at my home. It was fun to explore such a different habitat. I don't know many of the birds and plants.

On Tuesday I went for a walk along the California Aquifer. I did recognize a pair of Northern Harriers. They were flying low over the edge of the aquifer across the water from me. I watched them for quite some time. It didn't surprise me they were there, because I saw many rabbit holes and 1 rabbit. I saw turkey vultures, swallows, warblers and ... other small birds. I also found a nice little marsh. It was just past gravel pit and I wonder if the two had some connection. I wish I could have gotten closer! As I headed back to the car and water (Coal and I were thirsty!), I kept disrupting a kildeer.



After walking I drive around looking for other birds. I drive along a river and many farms. I also drove by another factor. When ever I found water I could eventually see birds. Mostly I was seeing egrets. It was such fun to see a bird completely different then I typically see. I also saw a white faced ibis. Most of the birds I saw were off in the distance. I did find one raptor. I was actually trying to turn around and head home. I pulled off onto this tiny street that had become a dump site for people's gargage, saddened I almost missed the big guy in the tree! It took me a bit to identify him, the silly tree kept obscuring my view. It was a Rough-legged Hawk! It was amazingly cooperative with my picture taking attempts; it watched me but never seemed all that worried.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home