Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day

I had planned a full day of hiking. The weather forecast however was looking uncertain. So I decided to sleep in and have a mellow morning. It hailed heavily and the temperature is cool (snow level down to 2,ooo Ft) so I was feeling very doubtful about heading into the mountains. It took me much longer then usual to choose a place to go. Perhaps part of my problem is there are too many options. After looking through many books and maps I chose Cougar Mountain. It's a place I always shy away from because it's so close to Seattle. I suppose I'm a snob, but it doesn't seem right to head in to Seattle to get to wilderness and I worry about crowds. I read an entry in 55 Hikes Around Snoqulamie Pass that finalized my decision.


"Pause at the Red Town Ballpark, where the Newcastle town played Black Diamond, Renton, Franklin and other competitors in the Coal County League. Come in April through June for the climax flowering in the ball field in it's new role as the Native Plants Meadow, the largest within 40 miles of Seattle, lovingly tended by volunteers of the Issaquah Alps Trails Club and Washington Native Plant Society and staff of King County Parks."

I wanted to see some wild flowers. I had already been reflecting on the fact it was May Day. I was nostalgic for the young girl who was thrilled to pick flowers and leave them on door steps. My mom was always so pleased, even when it was a bouquet of dandelions, and I was convinced I was doing a Great Deed. I always felt so intimidated in walking up to someone's door and knocking (still do), but the idea of leaving a bit of anonymous brightness made it an adventure not an intrusion. (see next entry for more flower/plant photos)




So I wandered the trails finding adventure and brightness. The weather magically changed and sunshine splashed through the canopy. There were amazingly displays of green. I walked to the Coal Creek waterfall and light danced on the water. Finally I ended up in the sunlit meadow. There weren't as many flowers as I'd hoped for but I sat on a bench in warm sunshine listening to the hum of bees and the burble of water and I felt at peace with the Spring day. Perhaps that little girl I was missing is quite alive in me after all.

Coal in Coal creek (I just couldn't resist)

Coal Creek lush and green


Green on Green

Meadow bench

Looking up

Coal Creak Falls

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home