Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

PCT Snow Shoe (also known as Nature's Tinsel Trail)



Eliza, Coal and I went snow shoeing along the Pacific Crest Trail last Saturday. We went to the same place we visited last year. (I'm linking to Eliza's entry because I can't seem to access mine) It was fun to be able to share memories and compare. Even though it's early Decemeber there is a lot of snow. Last year the snow was heavy and started falling of the trees like snow bombs. This year the snow was light and it shone. Eliza was very excited to discover we could see individual snow flakes.



We discovered that those snow flakes were clinging to spider web strands. It was so amazing to see the tinsel all around. I'd never seen anything like it.

Snow Tinsel

Of course we took lots of pictures. (Check out some of Eliza's photos) We spent a lot of time standing still; looking, listening and experiencing. We got to hear a raven singing. I wish I could desribe the sound, I've heard people describe it as bell-like.


Eliza

We didn't see any bears, honest! Coal had a grand time and was charging ahead (looking like a small bear). He was a great snow collector. I was determined to get a photo of him covered in a mantle of snow but everytime I tried he shook it all off.




Coal

Coal shaking off the snow


Things seemed frosted in white. It was such a strange mix of soft and hard. We were covered in snow flakes and the surface snow was so powdering you couldn't make snow balls, but underneath that was a hard, icy surface.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eliza said...

*clap, clap, clap* That's me clapping after finishing the post because it's great! Makes me smile & remember the highlights of our trip all over again. The photo of the single strand of nature's tinsel is beautiful (I'm also a fan of the new name, Nature's Tinsel Trail).
The photo you took of Coal in mid-shake turned out really cool. You can actually see how the shake starts at his head (which is already snow free) & then moves down his back (still covered in snow).
Nifty!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home