Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Saturday, February 11, 2006

For everything there is a season



It's been quite a winter. Life and my own silliness has kept me from updating. I've had some outings but both Coal and I got a bit banged up (whiplash sucks!). I decided it was time to rediscover the 'Simple Gifts'. I may not have been writing but I have spent time taking pictures and appreciating the beauty of winter. The balance of death and life "a time to kill and a time heal" has been on mind. It's hard sometimes to accept that death and storms are a part of a full life.



Let's start with one of my favorite things - SNOW! I discovered the joy of snowshoeing. It's absolutely grand and I will go again. Someone needs to donate snow shoes :P We went along the Pacific Crest Trail, the same route I'd taken earlier. With snow shoes we got much further. I think the most amazing thing was that the trees started bombing us. Huge explosions of snow started falling from the trees high above. After the heavy thump, white, cold clouds would drift towards. At first it was just a few thumps and then it became a steady barrage that encouraged us to head towards home. I also went sledding with friends. Such fun, we even built a snow person with lichen hair. One night I also discovered an unexpected snowfall (the best kind!). I let Coal out one night and later he wanted in, for a moment I was terribly perplexed at what he had all over him. Then I started jumping up and down chanting snow (literally).


I've had some nice walks. I've watched birds and elk. I 've watched the weather. Yesterday we had 60mph winds! Watching the wind whip across the lake and carry the spray far was impressive. Of course the height of the lake is impressive, we had record breaking rainfall in January. I kept saying I was going to build an ark.



I may not have been getting out on the long outings but I love where I live. There is so much beauty and variety. Spring is definitely on it's slooooow path. Today I heard Red Wing Blackbirds singing. I saw catkins on trees and leaves start to burst out....

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die;

a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal;

a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;

a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;

a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to seek, and a time to lose;

a time to keep, and a time to throw away;
A time to tear, and a time to sew;

a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate;

a time for war, and a time for peace.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home