Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Winter, Rivers and Ice

I just had to get out. The sun was shining so I grabbed Coal and my camera and headed down the road. I didn't have a specific destintation. Driving I realized I wanted somewhere that wouldn't be too crowded, wouldn't have too snow and would be a relatively easy walking surface. WHEW! I had it narrowed down to Cougar Mountain or the Middle Fork. I decided I need a mocha to help me think (any excuse will do), so I let that lady at espresso stand choose. She said Middle Fork and that's what I was leaning towards anyway. Off I went.


As I got near there was a sign saying "Road Closed 5 miles ahead". I wasn't worried and planned to drive to closure and then walk up the road, perfect for my plans. It soon became a question of which pothole I would hit, instead of how to get around them. (Potholes are NOT fun with whiplash). Worried about my little car and neck, I found a stopping place about 3 miles in. I love the drive along the Middle Fork. You get lovely views of the Snoqualmie. When the light cateches it right the moss glows on the trees.

The occaisionally patches of snow had turned into a consistent thin layer. Very shortly after we set off we were rewarded with our first patch of icicles. I also heard the song of the dipper. It's such a beautiful, liquid sound. I didn't see any birds, but the ice captivated me in all it's different forms and I spent most of walk watching the changing patterns. So many different shapes- icicles, ice edging the snow that's slowly melting and ice 'piles' underneath the icicles. I spent a lot of time taking pictures.

About 1.5 miles down the road I found a path leading to the river. A large Ukranian (maybe) family had parked at the trail head. The fell in love with Coal so after a nice visit we all headed down to the river. I found a quiet spot away from everyone to sit and watch the river. It was quite comfortable in the sun which explains why there was no snow in the spot. Walking along the river I was delighted at the patterns of ice. The ice was at the edge of the snow resting on top of the rocks or moss or grass. It really was marvelous. As we headed back the light was low, shining through the moss and icicles making the world seem bright and full. Maybe I caught just a bit of the beauty in my pictures.










1 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Gough said...

Wonderful! I enjoy every photo--every post! It sounds so soul-nourishing to explore as you do, with your comrade, Coal. I love your attention to detail, and your caring way in the outdoors. Thanks for sharing!

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home