Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

So much snow!


It was great, last Saturday I went and played in the Snow. I'm a bit late writing about it because I got sick with a cold. I headed up towards Franklin Falls. The road is closed, I knew I wouldn't be able to drive there. I parked where the road closes at the bridge. I was delighted by how much snow there was! Fortunately, many people with snow shoes had been that route before me, so I hiked up the road.



It had just snowed heavily the day before and everything was so beautiful. It's amazing how snow takes the ordinary and makes it seem so different. I stayed on the road passing the campground it was funny to see the gate across the road, certainly no cars were going in there anyway! In fact the gate was just barely visisble. After I passed the campground, I left the other snow lovers behind. I spent a lot of time marveling at the snow on the trees. I kept going to the Franklin Falls trailhead. I watched the Snoqualmie for a bit and decided to continue on to the Denny Creek Trailhead. I wasn't sure how far I would get, without snow shoes but the 'trail' running down the middle of the road was still neatly packed. When I reached the parking lot it was an open field of snow of course. I was thoroughly amused by the "No Parking" sign, just barely poking it's head out from the snow, like a ground hog with glasses checking for spring.


I walked maybe 1/2 mile up the Denny Creek trail, but the lack of snow shoes finally became an issue. I turned around and headed back. My curiousity got the best of me and I went into the campground. The snow wasn't well packed there and it was rough going. I did find a delightful snow woman. By the end I was sinking up to my hips in snow! Coal and I finally got back on the road and we were both tired and happy. I have always had a specail love for snow and I think part of that pleasure is snow's power to transform. My old dog acted like a pup that day. The camprground seemed like something out of a fairy tell, with odd lumps that were concealed picnic tables and the snow people waiting around the corner. Trees become shrouded, soft and plump as if they were gigantic women dressed in wedding white. I suppose that's why I was so fascinated with the cabins. Life frozen literally and figuratively

1 Comments:

Blogger Eliza said...

You posted the photos! :)
I do love the one of the parking sign--it sure does look like someone with glasses poking their head up from the snow.
Yesterday afternoon was my Heifer potluck meeting at a volunteer's house on Tiger Mountain. They had a gorgeous view & about 2.5 acres, much of which was still forested. I learned that the owners had built a little treehouse on the property & after the potluck was over, I asked if I could have a tour of it. I wish I would have taken some photos--it was an awesome little treehouse! It was built in the lower crook of braches of a large Maple tree & had many windows, a little sleeping loft, & gorgeous wood floor complete with a little wood burning stove for heat! It was made from almost all recyled materials & the railings of the little deck, were branches from downed trees. Such a wonderful, peaceful little treehouse. I want one! :)

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home