Simple Gifts

I believe I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world; the Snoqualmie Valley. I get to see amazing things everyday. It's time to celebrate that. (You can view pictures in larger format by clicking on them)

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Songs of spring

I saw my first Trillium of the Spring! I've been watching for them. As a young child I picked one for my mother. I was crushed when she told me it would take 7 years to reflower. Later there was construction happening in a near by forest, and I went and carefully dug up the Trillium and we planted them in my parents yard. They still grow there. I cherish the sense of wonder I had when I first came upon them and later being able to rescue something (and assuage my guilt). Today, I also saw flowers on Salmon Berry bushes, Skunk Cabbage and Indian Plum. I love the greens of Pacific forests, but the splashes of colors are exciting. I'm not sure which I like better. Watching the process of a flower emerge from a drab tight bud to bloom or that sense of something complete and full one day just being there. (The photo of Trillium was taken from Walking Clip Art).

I also heard the song of the Dipper. Those little birds can be so loud! I heard several actually. I never saw the birds, just heard that delightful song. They have to be one of my favorite birds. I quite enjoyed this article by Robert E Barber about Dippers. I especially enjoyed the description of an overworked male...

Dippers are full of surprises. I was recently watching a pair bring food to their nest when I saw one trying to feed the other, even though the other already had a nymph in its bill. This feeding attempt seemed to annoy the mate. Researchers believe the first stage of breeding behavior includes ritual feeding of the female by the male. I guess the male I was watching was so overworked he thought it was the beginning of the breeding season again. However, he did a good job of providing nymphs and grubs to his brood.


And I heard a White-Crowned Sparrow. It's been a while since I heard that bird, I had to check when I got home. What a wonderful mix, having a song come from high up in the trees while the Dipper sings from down beside the river. I love nature. I love being outside, but I will quite happily take advantage of the opportunities technology can provide. How delightful to get home and immediately be able to listen to the bird song and identify it for certain.

And on a humorous note, I only just got speakers for my computer. When Fancy (the cat) heard the bird song coming from the speakers she was quite interested and was soon giving them a thorough sniffing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eliza said...

Your first Trilliam bloom! How fun to see signs of spring! My first of the spring that I always look for is my first Swallowtail butterfly. I won't see one until April, maybe even May, but I am always excited when I finally do.

Yesterday while driving up Tiger Mountain to a Heifer volunteer's house, I saw something huge & bright yellow swaying through the trees. As I turned the bend, I saw that it was a huge Swallowtail butterfly (kind of like a kite), suspended between trees in someone's backyard, swooping & swaying in the wind. So cool!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont know you, but the thoughts you have shared are the same that I have. I have seen your pictures. I have been to some of those places.

I only find peace in myself when I am breathing the fresh air and feeling the rain run of a new leaf cooling my skin. Its heaven.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Herman said...

Oh dear, I guess skunk cabbage does sort of look like tulips. But the smell is definitely different.

////

errr... and thank you "anonymous" I was very flattered

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home